Monday, March 29, 2010

Jamestown, VA






On Tuesday we visited Jamestown, the first European settlement to prosper in America. We got to walk through the little Indian village with the dome huts, then we went on board a replica of the ship that the settlers came on, and then we walked through the fort.

Mark, at the well that the settlers dug after months of drinking the dirty water from the James River.
The original fort walls.
Mark and Greg with the John Smith memorial.
The orginal Jamestown fort recently found and excavated.
Mom with Amy Stillman Hoag, who came to visit with us and show us around the settlement.
The original chapel that the Jamestown settlers built was replicated here, and the foundation is still from the original building.
A memorial to the Jamestown settlers.
Sadie, showing me where the ceiling is in the museum. Here they show artifacts uncovered at the original Jamestown fort that we visited.




Here, we are visiting the original glass blowing place in Jamestown from the 1600s, where we were able to see someone making a fancy glass vase.

1 comment:

  1. This very glass blowing place is one of my favorite memories of visiting Jamestown when I was about 6 years old. I need to bring my girls back here. Maybe you can tell me all about this part of your trip and I will take them next year. Looks like such a fun time.

    ReplyDelete